average weight: 17 lb
Giant Squash – (Cucurbita maxima)
Storage: from 3 to 6 months.
- Oval or round, this squash is of a greyish blue colour.
- She has a very hard and lumpy skin. Small tip for cooking: put the squash in a bag and throw it on the ground (not on the kitchen ceramic!), cook the squash with the peel and detach it at the end of the cooking.
- Its flesh is dry, thick, slightly sweet and often paler than that of other winter squash.
- The flesh is wetter than the other squashes so a longer cooking time is required.
- Succulent for frying or roasting
- Very good in vegetable stir-fries
- Perfect for creamy soup
For a recipe idea for an excellent blue Hubbard squash cream, click here!